Room with a view

Room with a view

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hi Ho Silver....Away!

Ok so we got up and made our way to Hanmer Horse Farm where we divided into two groups of ten and got our horses to ride. I was the last one to get saddled up and Tino and I were matched. He was a beautiful and quite spirited horse with lots of get up and go. We crossed creeks and up the sides of mountains...or rather large hills. We had the opportunity to trot several times and Kelsey and I, who had the faster horses, had the chance to canter...or as I said gallop. The only issue is that this was the first time I have ever been on an English saddle with no horn to hold on to. Well, it was exciting I might say. I felt Tino and I might ride off into the sunset. My legs aren't too sore tonight, but my tail bone is speaking to me.

Afterwards, the kids had an opportunity to help the owners, all females, spread hay in the arena. They helped her a lot since she was down in her back. It was a gorgeous day and fun to see everyone in a new environment. Even Karl, our driver, went with us.

After lunch, we all went to the Hanmer Hot Springs for a 2 hour soak. Some of the kids met with Ulla to talk about their photos. This was their last night with us and at the restaurant, she projected some of her photos and gave one last inspirational talk. She talks the talk and walks the walk. She dreams it and then makes it happen. I couldn't do what she does. She sleeps in jungles with all the snakes and insects and humidity...just to get the shots. We are all in awe of her.

Tomorrow is Christchurch. We are all interested to see the horror of the destruction. It should be a photographable day.

No comments:

Post a Comment